10.01.2010

the whole enchilada

Here is the story. with full details. and pictures. as promised.

you should be caught up after reading this. well, at least with my cancer journey. this is a story of how thankful I am that God can see the big picture and knows what is around the corner. and how He puts people and opportunities in our lives for a reason.

Lets get started. we have to go back to this spring when Chuck lost his part time job unexpectedly. We were in a pinch financially and started talking about how we were gonna make up the lost income. Then came summer and we were so busy. YIKES!! Towards the end of August we were on a date and started to discuss the idea of me getting a part time job to help with the general budget. and to foster my photography habit and business, and maybe to grow my wardrobe :)

The next week I got a call from my old boss at State Farm and we met to talk about a job opportunity he had. Fast Forward a week or so, and I took the job. I wasn't really convinced that I wanted it, but my hubby was all for it, and we did need the money. So, since I was back in the Arlington circle, I decided to try out the new spa that is owned by my boss's wife. its really convenient since its in the same building as the Farm.

Before my first day, I went to her wax Wednesday. ( $10 brow, lip, and chin) since she is responsible for getting me to the dermatologist, she gets a plug... http://www.lavendersskincare.com

Ok, so i see her for my wax and she asks me about the light pink spot on my forehead. I tell her its been there forever and is nothing. She suggests I go to the doc, I tell her I don't have money to hear I am fine. She strongly suggests I go to the dermatologist. this goes back and forth for a bit. Ok, I will go!! Her hubby is going to be signing my checks soon. Sheesh!

So, I go to Rosario Skin in Mount Vernon. They say I should have the spot looked at. I go to my doc and get a biopsy. Three days later I get a call its cancer. Ok, are you still with me. So, my doc appt was the first week of Sept, my biopsy the 2nd week, cancer diagnosed the 3rd week. Last week I had my pre-op visit. I got quite an education on basal cell carcinoma and what the Mohs procedure is. They commented many times that I was really young to have this, and that it may raise my eye brow, and that it was no big deal, and that I have terribly damaged skin. Left there feeling real great.


here is my before photo. in the car waiting to check in. see the pink spot on my forehead? yeah, me niether. that is why i haven't had it checked. it doesn't look like anything...

Wednesday was my surgery. I had to miss work (after only like 5 or 6 days on the job, good thing I have a GREAT boss!) I checked in at 8am. The paperwork says the procedure takes 3-8 hours. They take out what they know is cancer in the first scoop. then send it across the hall to the lab. They freeze it, slice it, put it on a slide and look at it under a microscope... all while you wait. then you get the results back ...if they got it all.. if the skin around the scoop is cancer free... then they take the next layer. repeat. This is less evasive than cutting off half your face just to be sure they got the whole mass of cancer.

Good news, they got it all the first time. So I didn't have to be there all day. the stitching took almost an hour. not what i had expected. they had to stitch a lot up in the inside. and the worst part... they cauterized it... which smells like burning flesh... it was horrible. When all the inside stitches were done, they moved to the outside. with bright blue thread of course. they are really small stitches which scar less.. but they are not as strong. So, i am not supposed to move my face muscles. no laughing or being dramatic.

THAT IS FUNNY!!! Me... dramatic... never.
Ok, so I came home feeling ok. They prescribed pain pills, but that is not my thing. I was taking tylenol for the first day. Yesterday felt pretty good. Little tired.



here is me yesterday .. taking it easy.. as long as I don't laugh.. this is approved behavior.

Last night we were playing board games with the kids. chuck looked at me and said "um, honey... I think the swelling has started" and it hasn't stopped since. This morning I looked horrible. Not sure if the pics show how puffy and fat my eyes are. The lids are laying on my lashes, and the bridge of my nose is twice its normal size. Supposedly it will turn black and blue too!!



I got to rip off the dressing and tape this morning to reveal the battle scars. not too bad compared to the horrific tight feeling on my swollen eyes. have switched to Ibuprofen to help with swelling.

so, I am supposed to not use my facial muscles to communicate, or lift anything, or do too much... to protect the stitches. I get them looked at this coming Thursday. They may not take them all out. might have to be partial. and, as a bonus, they are going to biopsy some small spots on the other side of my face and then stitch it closed too.


here is the actual wound



this is this morning. can see you the swelling? ugh...

One last thing.. thanks to all you who have prayed for us. The kids aren't too bothered, they think i look normal. umm... that is a problem!! Chuck has been fabulous with the kids and housework and cooking. He went to work today so my mom is up to help. Thanks to those who took the kids so I could go to have this blessed procedure

It takes a village.

Ok, so I just want to point this out. God knew I had cancer. He pushed me towards this job, where I would see a new esthitician, who would push me to go to the doctor. and, now I am cancer free because of this!! You helped save my life.. or at least my face!! God had a plan and put people into my life that I needed, even when i had no idea I needed them. amen

19 comments:

  1. You are beautiful, inside and out. Praise God, and praise the people in your life and praise YOU for following that little voice that was telling you to listen! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jamie....you are loved!!!! <3 Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheesh, cuz. I thought i was having a busy medical month. Thank God you are okay. -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really really really glad that they got it all. Praise God! I have to say that you managed to make me crack up through most of your story. I love your humor! So glad you are ok! - Jess P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyle and I are glad you are OK. And glad you have a boss with a persistent wife! Tell Chuck to call us if he needs help too. A play date might give you some peace and quiet....

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Jamie, what a ride you have been on. God is awesome and he is always looking out for us. Praise God for the State Farm job that lead to you finding this out in time before it spread. You poor girl, are you hurting? Will you get black and blue next? Well you look beautiful no matter what takes place in the healing process. We will continue to pray for you. Thank you for keeping us updated. I have no idea how you are going to be able to use your face muscles, it makes me laugh thinking about it. Please don't be afraid to ask for help with cooking, cleaning, kids, whatever it is you may need, we are here for you. Sending lots of love a big hug.
    Megan Linklater

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers! Please let us know if there is anything we can do! Praise be to God for sending those to us who we never knew we needed!
    ~The Honsowetz's

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, for someone who doesn't see a doctor very often you sure have made up for lost time! SO sorry you have had to walk this path, but your story is inspiring about how God's perfect timing reminds us of how near He is to us...wishing you a very speedy recovery and, as always, if there is something I can do for you or your family, please don't hesitate to ask! PS-take your meds, they'll help! ;) (sorry, couldn't stop the nurse in me) Take care my friend! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had a few weird moles since I was a teen, 2 I had to go back in for second scoops. Just be good about checking for new bumps, and always go get them checked out if someone suggests it!

    It's fun to make up stories about the scars too (knife fight/crocodile attack...etc).

    Take it easy Jamie! -Vic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jamie,
    You really are amazing... just another reminder of how good God is. We will pray for a quick recovery. We love you sooo much, Auntie Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praise God for His wondrous ways!!! Continuing to pray for you...let me know if you need anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jamie, hopefully now the worst of the swelling is gone. It looks very painful and you are handling it sooooo well. I have admired your attitude throughout this whole process. What an example of "resting in your faith"! Know we are continuing to pray for you and are here for ANYTHING you guys need! See you tomorrow? Allison

    ReplyDelete
  13. No raised eyebrow! So glad all is well!

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, wow, Jamie! I am so glad everything is ok! What a whirlwind for you to go through. Yeah, amazing how blessings are put into play and God's graces and timing are perfect! Take it easy and if we need to reschedule next weekend I am totally ok with that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your story Jamie.. your faith is so encouraging to me. AND you've inspired me to go get some color spots checked out on myself! (Kind of been putting that off!) Who knows how many others will be effected by your story of God's perfect timing, guidance and faithfulness. I'll be praying for you! Love,Sue

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Jamie, Donna Whittaker here. I've had 6 basal skin cancer spots removed over the past two years - usually two at a time. Just had a couple more removed while back in Seattle this summer. While upsetting at first, the procedure really isn't a big deal once you get used to it. Mine usually take 1/2 hour - numb the spot, cut it out, stitch it up. Scars end up being hardly noticable - put vitamin E on it to help it heal well. My dermatologist says basal is the "best" kind of skin cancer to get if you have to have it b/c it is very slow growing and doesn't go beneath the skin into the body. Not to give you a downer, but you need to remain vigilant b/c there might be more in the future. Having gone down this path for two years, there are worse things in life to get:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, you are beautiful, inside and out. Thank you for sharing your story. Praise God for the way things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoa, thanks for sharing. My best friend has had multiple surgeries on her back for skin cancer and it reminds me how powerful the sun is and how we have to protect ourselves! Glad you're on the mend!

    -Colin

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are the best. Who else could make me laugh while crying??!!! I read the words "cancer journey" on FB and felt sick to my stomach, popped over here and am SO GLAD to get the whole picture (literally). You ARE and always will be one of the most beautiful people I know.

    Kriste

    ReplyDelete