7.16.2009

agree or disagree ?

I read this on a blog earlier tonite (written by ryan phelps on theologyamplified.blogspot.com) and thought it gave me some good things to think about (as you know, I am one of the only people left on the planet with no facebook page, etc)... so I want to know if you think it raises some good points... do tell......

The problem with Facebook and Twitter (among others) is not that they are inherently evil. Of course they aren't. The problem is that they are the perfect medium for us to boast about ourselves. That is, we often act as though what is important is that we get glorified, not God. Think about it. Why do you want people to know that you just did the laundry, or that you are really happy you are eating a tuna sandwich, or that you just watched the performance "We Are the World" a ninth time at the Michael Jackson memorial? Not because you think society will move along better if this info is distributed. It's because you want people to notice you. You want them to find your status updates, your pictures, your info weighty.

And that unintentionally limits the power of the gospel. The most important thing in the world is not what you have done, but what Christ has done. When you focus only on what you have done and who you are, you reinforce the idea of self-righteousness not just in your heart, but in the hearts of your readers as well. Self-righteousness is the belief that what gets us right with God, or what makes us good people, is how we live our lives. It is our record that is important. But the gospel flips that idea on its head and says that it is your self-righteousness that got you into this mess in the first place and keeps you there. The gospel says, on the other hand, that Christ has come and wants to give his perfect record to you. The gospel is the good news that you can go from self-righteousness to Christ-righteousness. It isn't about you, it is about Jesus!!

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm....
    This is an interesting topic! I am personally on a break from Facebook for 2 reasons
    1) It's a big time waster
    2) Sometimes it feels like an invasion of privacy

    I do agree that it CAN be a place that some people could use to brag or something, but mostly I think people are just trying to find a place to express themselves and connect (a blog is that onesided). I think the danger is more in being filled up by an online community then meaningful relationships with others and God. I think the key is balance.

    Stacey J

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we are talking with our friends over coffee, how often do we mention the name of Jesus? When we are watching our kids play soccer, how often do we share the gospel? When we blog, how do we further the kingdom of God?
    As with the majority of our lives, we do not use the opportunities given to share the Good News. Facebook / Blogging / Coffee / Soccer ... etc. are not evil... WE ARE!
    I disagree with the blog since all these things can be used to promote the Gospel, we just choose not to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think we can share in alot of ways just by being an example and a faithful Christ follower...it doesn't always work into a conversation or a post to directly evangelize, but over time, people see what you are and who you are serving, and in their time of need, they will be open and may even ask you. At least that is my personal observation.

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. disagree...I have been on FB for awhile now and enjoy the christian community that I am able to share prayer requests, blessings and challenges. I use this a my stress relief daily.

    No matter what people choose to waste time or complain about what they don't like. Perhaps Christians need to actually decide to fight for the wrong in the world i.e. the hungry, poor, people who did not know Christ and the persecuted Christians instead of program on the internet. What about blogging is it any better than FB, Twtter or My space?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally really enjoy Facebook. I love getting on to find out what my other friends are up to and when I hear they have just done their fifth load of laundry, I don't see it as bragging, I like to know that someone else out there has that much laundry piling up too!!
    As with anything that we allow into our lives, it can easily take the place of real relationships and time with God and loved ones. We have to know where the balance lies. My husband is free to tell me at any time if I am spending too much time on the computer.
    I have loved to see how Facebook has been used to get out prayer requests and praises. My former pastor posts a devotional on Facebook daily.
    My main focus on having Facebook is relationships and keeping them going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the best way to minister the word of Jesus is by our example, at the end of the day can you sit down and say did I do the best I could for the Kingdom. I too am on Facebook and at first I wasn't to hip on it and then I started to connect with people I hadn't since high school or family members that live far away, it's been wonderful to chat and update, it can also be a great way to minister. I will post devotional's that I get that touch my heart in a way I want to share it with the world and why it applies to not only me, but to each of us. What other's have said our best tool of ministry is how we live our daily life. Truly I see no difference in Twitter, Fasebook, Blogging or myspace. Like other's said we are the one's that make it evil, see I think ice cream is evil, but it's not evil, it's because I have lost my self control and can't stop eating it, instead of having the simple pleasure of enjoying a serving.

    ReplyDelete