6.03.2009

older and much wiser

Today I turn 33. So, I thought it would be good to list (for prosperity sake) 33 things I have learned, re-learned, or having been learning this past year. Some good, some bad, some deep, some shallow. Some you may like, some you may disagree with.. with no further a due.... and in no particular order...
1. i learned how to vote ( I voted for the first time ... my dad will be so proud)
2. i learned that i like beets, if they are fresh and steamed with lotsa butter, salt, and pepper
3. i re-learned i am not a fan of road trips
4. you really can't help people who don't want to help themselves
5. i learned it really is possible to go 30 days with no dessert
6. i realized that I am a lot like the Israelites... short sited, quick to complain, loosing the forest for the trees.. etc
7. I learned that every character flaw I have comes from the natural impulse to be my own savior
8. I learned the alphabet in sign language
9. I am loving my husband more everyday
10. I learned the difference between aperture and white balance and ISO and all the other fun things about shooting (DSLR) in manual
11. I learned the difference between justification and sanctification
12. I learned the basics of texting and blog (still not on facebook, twitter, or myspace)
13. I am learning that tailbones take FOREVER to heal (and if I did what my massage therapist and chiropractor told me, it may be helpful)
14. I am re-learning that my food portion sizes are out of control
15. I learned that I am way too dependent on people, and not enough on God (guess this is one of those things you get to learn the hard way..)
16. I am learning that garage sale-ing is addicting and fun (wish running was)
17. I learned that the difference between a religious person and a true christian is that the religious person obeys God to get control over God, and to try and get things from God, but christians obey God just to get God
18. I am learning that perception is my enemy
19. My kids act just like me (dramatic, loud, passionate, opinionated...)
20. I act more like my mom and dad everyday... hmm... see above.... see a trend?
21. I make unrealistic to do lists daily, maybe hourly, and then sit around being stressed about them
22. I should be learning we are too blessed to be stressed
23. I am learning that Verizon does have better cell coverage than AT & T (at least up here in the sticks)
24. I am learning that I spend too much time listening to myself and not enough time talking to myself (maybe you had to be there...)
25. I learned that Winco can beat Costco's prices on some things
26. I am a selfish sinner, saved by grace
27. I am not very neighborly (realized this when the house across the street from us went up for sale and we didn't ever learn their names.. in four years..)
28. I am learning that an idol is anything in my life that occupies the place that should be filled by God alone... (insert TV, computer, phone, control, schedule, SHOPPING, um... I will spare you the rest)
29. I learn everyday that my patience is short..... did I get this from my parents... maybe I can pass the buck... :)
30. I am learning how much fun my kids can be if i just relax and enjoy them.. and they do grow up fast... I used to hate when old ladies with mustaches used to tell me that
31. I am learning that there is something I like better than scrapbooking.... photography
32. I am learning to cook, and it fun, and I should have tried it along time ago...
33. I am learning to thirve, not just survive... quit waiting for my life to "get there"... enjoy it now!

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Nice list. But, you're wrong about one thing - there is nothing good about beets. Not one thing. They are vile... I'd rather eat my own throw-up. Have a nice day!

    --Danny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list Jamie... you learned a lot this year! you are so transparent! Love that about you! Thanks for helping me learn a lot this past year too! Happy Birthday! love Diona

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will happily take credit for all the GOOD things you learned. :) The rest, well...? I have learned many things in your 33 years as well. The biggest thing is that I love you more all the time. You are an amazing daughter, friend, wife and mother. I am proud of who you are. God has done and continues to do great things in your life. You are an awesome example to me and to others of who we can be if we let go and let God show us the way. I love you so much. Have an awesome day. mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a breath of fresh air for me today. I really enjoyed reading your list and it made me ponder "what am I learning" or rather what do I want to spend my time learning... I hope your birthday is great! If I were a better friend I might have known it was your birthday before reading your blog : ) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a beautiful, amazing, wise YOUNG woman. beleive me 33 is young when you are knocking on the door of 40. It has been a blessing to watch you grown into the person you are. I am so proud of how you make time to enjoy your kids and your committement to your hubby and your love for God. Keep growing, and have a fabulous Birthday!

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 33rd Birthday! I love your list..so real and honest! Hope you had a great day. It was good seeing you last night. Look in the first couple pages of your book...I wrote you something!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Jamie--
    I did bookmark your blog so I can get to know you better even when time doesn't allow. A great list of some incredible thoughts--keeps us all thinking how we can do it better--love that!
    Love all your pictures!! I need your lens and a few lessons. I am too impatient to actually spend time learning great photography even with my wonderful camera.
    Keep going girlie--I love the thrive..don't survive!
    Thanks for the glimpse of your heart!
    Stacy Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did it.. I' m here. Nice work on the list.. now that you know all this I guess you'll need accountablity to not forget... maybe I should make a list you shouldn't let me forget...or maybe you could make it for me. Oh, and I found a typo I know how you hate typo's. Love you ~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, nice list...look at all those things Tim Keller taught you! Hoo-rah! Glad we pushed through the study even though it was hard at times and for your encouragement to the group in that direction. I love how you stop to reflect the significant lessons in life and the fun ones and the ouchie ones and all of it, very cool!
    Happy Birthday!
    -Nancy

    ReplyDelete